Food waste has become such an issue in the UK. It’s hard to believe but more than 8 million families in the UK struggle to put food on the table – and yet, around 10 million tonnes of food waste ends up in landfills each year.
It has been estimated that the average family in the UK wastes nearly £60 a month by throwing food away.
I remember when I was growing up we always had a Roast dinner on a Sunday which was followed on a Monday with cold meat and bubble and squeak from the leftovers and it was one of my favourite meals.
If we could all reduce our food waste it would not only save us money but also reduce unnecessary packaging waste. If we all make a few minor changes and start using up the food we buy, together we can make a significant difference.
And, a great place to start would be with Bananas. Did you know that in the UK we throw away 1.4m edible bananas every day at a cost of £80m a year.
Banana & Walnut Bread Recipe
- 250g/8oz Plain Flour
- 125g/4oz Softened Butter
- 125g/4oz Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
3 Large very ripe Bananas mashed
- ½ Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder if using Plain Flour
- 100g Chopped Walnuts
What to Do :
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3. Lightly grease 2lb loaf tin.
- Mash the bananas
- Cream the butter and sugar and slowly beat in the eggs. Add the mashed bananas and mix.
- Fold in the flour, bicarb and baking powder.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for about 50 minutes until well risen.
- Check to make sure it’s cooked in the middle by inserting a skewer and checking it comes out clean.
- Allow to rest in tin for a few minutes then turn onto a wire tray to cool.
It’s so easy to make and tastes great with a cup of tea for a snack or breakfast. The walnuts are optional so you can leave them out if you don’t like them or you may want to replace them with chocolate chips if you’re making it for the kids.
What are your favourite recipes to use up food to stop it going to waste? If you’re interested in reading more about Food Waste check out my Blog on Zero Waste – Easy Tips to Reduce Food Waste
2 thoughts on “Making Banana and Walnut Bread is a great way to reduce food waste”
I sometimes make rice pudding when we have excess milk. We have milk delivered. I just noticed a spare bottle of milk hiding at the back of the fridge. Too late, the milkman has been and gone… So it’s rice pudding time!
I love rice pudding 🙂