When we moved into our new house I had to find the best recipe for homemade natural DIY granite cleaner as we now have granite worktops.
Whilst my citrus infused vinegar cleaner was great for everything in our old kitchen I can’t use it on our new granite worktops due to the high acidity. So with a bit of trial and error I think I’ve found the best solution for our granite worktops.
Granite is pretty hard wearing stone but you shouldn’t use an acidic cleaner on it, so definitely avoid using vinegar. And, always use a soft cloth or sponge when cleaning don’t use anything abrasive.
Natural Cleaning Ingredients for Homemade Natural DIY Granite Cleaner - It's all about the PH
My natural granite cleaner only has a couple of ingredients and below you’ll see why I use them.
Neutral pH 7
Rubbing Alcohol / Surgical Spirit (Isopropyl Alcohol 70% C3H8O) pH 6 -8
Rubbing alcohol can be slightly acid, alkaline or neutral as it’s pH can range from 6 to 8.
Alcohol is a solvent, which means it’s good for dissolving dirt and oil. It also dries almost instantly which makes it great for cleaning glass. It’s also a good disinfectant so useful around the home but don’t use on wood or varnished surfaces.
As with all chemicals, natural or manmade you do need to be careful. Its fumes are quite powerful, so always use it in a well-ventilated area. Remember the alcohol and its fumes are flammable, so keep it far from heat sources; don’t use it on this like your gas hob or oven.
Eco Friendly Washing Up Liquid
I love my miniml rhubarb refillable washing up liquid and I quite often add a couple of drops to some of my natural cleaning recipes. I’m confident that they only use natural ingredients so when I need a little extra cleaning power I add a couple of drops to my recipes.
Tips on how to care for your granite worktops
Here are some general tips on how to care for your granite worktops:
- Use a pH neutral cleaner (see recipe for best natural diy granite cleaner below)
- Always use a soft cloth, old muslins are great or compostable sponges or cloths
- Wipe up spills immediately so they don’t have a chance to absorb into the granite
- Always use a chopping board
- Granite is heat resistant but it’s still advisable not to put hot pans directly onto the worktop
The Best Homemade Natural DIY Granite Cleaner
This recipe is so simple but so effective and will help keep your granite worktops looking clean and sparkling.
You’ll Need :
- 1 cup of Rubbing alcohol
- 1 cup cooled boiled water
- 2 squirts of eco friendly washing up liquid
- Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle, shake to combine and your ready to go.
- Spray onto worktops, wait a couple of minutes then wipe clean with a soft cloth.